Skip to Primary Content

Pet Street Veterinary Care Center

International Health Certificates

Pet Street Veterinary Care Center is proud to offer USDA certificates for international travel. If you want to travel internationally with your pet, you need to plan ahead. Since each country is different, you will have to contact the embassy or consulate where you are going to find out what you need.

Though every country has different requirements, most require a health certificate that is done by a USDA-accredited veterinarian. Please note, that if you are not an existing client of ours, you will have to schedule a pre-visit with one of our veterinarians so that we can check your pet's records/paperwork. This pre-visit will help us determine what is needed for your travels so that we can schedule future exams and requirements in a timely fashion. A current, signed Rabies certificate, denoting a microchip, if required, is essential for a valid health certificate to be issued.

Preparing for Your Appointment

Please make sure that you have/do the following to prepare for your International Health Certificate appointment. This will help expedite the process and make sure everyone is on the same page.

  • If you are not a current client or have other medical records for your pet elsewhere, please make sure you bring those records with you for your pre-visit appointment. 

  • Make sure you are aware of all the requirements for your travel. We will do our best to make sure you have everything you’ll need, but if certain requirements are not met, you may be denied entry or your pet may be quarantined at the border. 

  • Be aware of timing! 

    Most certificates are required to be signed by both a USDA certified Veterinarian and a USDA APHIS Veterinary Services endorsement officer within 

    10 days

     of travel but many other medical requirements have waiting periods as well. 

  • You cannot apply for an International Health Certificate the day before or the day of international travel. 

Traveling with Your Pet

You will always need your pet's health certificate and proof of vaccination when you travel. You may also need a microchip and blood tests. Many countries require that your pet get treated for parasites prior to travel. You may also need certificates for the airplane ride. Some countries also require you to apply for a veterinary import license from them first. You can find the full list of requirements for each country at APHIS’ website.

We at Pet Street Veterinary Care Center will do our best to make sure you are fully prepared for your travels with your pet but it is ultimately up to you to make sure you have all the required documentation, vaccines, microchips, and have the correct timing for your trip. We cannot accept responsibility for any expenses if your travel is delayed or additional requirements are needed.

Timing is everything! 

Since each country is different and we can’t stay up to date will all of the changes in each one, it is important that you call ahead and know what you need. Some countries such as Japan, and even states like Hawaii, who do not have rabies, require a FAVN test, a test that can take up to eight weeks to get results back. On top of that, many countries also have waiting periods before a pet can travel AFTER some medical requirements are met. We highly recommend that as soon as you know you will be traveling out of the country with your pet, you make an appointment with us and start doing your due diligence for your trip.

Important Note: Only a USDA-accredited Veterinarian can fill out and certify both domestic and international health certificates for travel. You will also need ample time to send that paperwork to a USDA APHIS Veterinary Medical Officer.